Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Feminism, Jerusalem, and a Few Questions

I often feel that if women ruled the world, there would no more war, poverty, or injustice. Realistically I know that a female-dominated society is not a cure all for the world's problems. Patriarchy does, however, undermine efforts to create peace and equality. In Galit Hasan Rokem's essay Not the Mother of All Cities: A Feminist Perspective of Jerusalem, she writes that, "the relationship to Jerusalem was built in the image of patriarchal marriage"(53). Throughout its history, males have felt compelled to conquer and own Jerusalem. While watching the recording of the video conference between students from Al-Quds, Hebrew University, and OSU, I was shocked with Mordichai's response to this essay. Mordichai is a settler. What shocked me about his response was how much I agreed with him. Before watching this video, I had this idea of settlers as right winged, religious zealots who refused to recognize the rights of Palestinians. Mordichai said that humans have this male desire to conquer and own land. He stated that this desire was ironic because inevitably the land will own us when we die and turn to dust. He suggested relinquishing this control and ownership. My experience of agreeing with the views of a settler is just one example of the many times my perspective has changed in this class. I liked how Dr. Horowitz phrased it as "deconstructing the THE." There is no THE settler. Not only has the Jerusalem Project taught me about the Holy City, Israel, and the conflict, but it has also taught me about myself. I have learned that I am too quick to lump people into categories. Too often I view situations as black and white. In certain situations there is no right vs wrong. In our video conference with Said Murad and David Broza tomorrow I would like to ask: What role music has taken in their life (both performing and listening to music)? How is their music collaboration received by both Palestinians and Israelis? What is the role of music in the conflict? Can music be used to help move towards peace? and How can music act as communication between Israelis and Palestinians?

1 comment:

  1. Although I do think that Mordechai's explanation of his reaction to the essay was very interesting and unexpected, as I mentioned in class you cannot overlook his inherent hypocrisy in his perceived sentiment towards the ownership of land. Yes, he does have a comparatively unique view of land ownership, but he is still playing a role in the grander scheme of Israeli settlement of Palestinian land (a 'male' sentiment of ownership declared illegal under international law).

    ReplyDelete