Sunday, October 23, 2011

Thoughts on the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra

In his essay In Memoriam: Edward Said (1936-2003), Daniel Barenboim wrote, "Edward saw in music not just a combination of sounds, but he understood the fact that every musical masterpiece is, as it were, a conception of the world. And the difficulty lies in the fact that this conception of the world cannot be described in words--because were it possible to describe in words, the music would be unnecessary"(x). In the West-Eastern Divan orchestra, musicians from Israel, Palestine, Syria, Lebanon, and other Middle Eastern countries play together to create a musical masterpiece--their own conception of the world. Jewish Israelis and Palestinians work together to play notes in harmony. As they work together, these young musicians from disparate backgrounds begin to get to know each other. Playing music together creates a forum for dialogue. The physical wall is not the only obstacle separating Palestinians and Israelis. Perhaps the stronger barrier is the wall in the minds of Israelis and Palestinians, which inhibits them from recognizing or understanding the other. It is impossible to play notes in exact harmony and refuse to recognize the other musician. The conception of the other is often inspired by the media, which generally portrays negative and one sided views. In the film Knowledge is the Beginning, a young pianist said, "Israelis to me were something not human, because everything I saw of Israel was brutality and mass killing. It changed my view of what a human being is." Ignorance of the other makes it easier to hate the other. Ignorance of the other makes it easier to build a wall surrounding the other. Ignorance of the other makes it easier to refuse to recognize the other. The West-Eastern Divan Orchestra eliminates this ignorance. Palestinians and Israelis playing Beethoven together will not end the occupation, but it is a positive step forward to trying to solve the conflict. In an interview with Daniel Barenboim, he explained that the orchestra will not solve the political problem but it influences the way one views the other. He explains that Palestinians and Israelis will never agree. Agreeing, however, is not the problem. The problem is refusing to recognize the opinion of the other. Barenboim described that the orchestra helps these youth how to understand the logic behind the opinion of the other. People who are anti-normalization believe that the orchestra white washes the problem. They argue that the project tries to create equality where equality does not exist. I was very grateful that Jenna came to share her views of the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra. I understand her viewpoints. Sometimes I struggle with feeling that I have no right to take a stance on any of the issues regarding the conflict. I have never lived without a homeland or been surrounded by a wall that I cannot pass. In daily life, I never feel in danger or unsafe. I'm a white, middle class citizen of the United States. Who am I to offer my opinions? I guess I can only speak from my opinion as a human being. I can't help but fully support the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra. The music they create is a beautiful step in the movement towards peace.
A Hello to Mrs. Said: Hi Mrs. Said. I'm Abby and am a senior at IU majoring in American Studies. Thanks so much in advance for meeting with our class on Monday. Some of my question include: How was the concert in Ramallah received? How has the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra change since its beginning? What is your response critiques of normalization?

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it is sometimes difficult to understand the conflict and the feelings of those involved because I have never experienced war or daily conflict as they have. Perhaps that partly explains why external attempts at peace have been unsuccessful...

    ReplyDelete