Friday, October 7, 2011

My views on the Palestinian and Israeli conflict are always changing. Many of my family members and friends do not believe in a two-state solution. One of my second cousins lives in a settlement in the West Bank. I don't understand this mindset. Sometimes I think their connection to the Jewish faith and the belief that Jews need a homeland blinds their mindset. Sometimes I think they base their opinions on fear propagated by terrorist attacks. Fear breeds hatred and hatred breeds fear. Growing up in a secular and liberal home, I never questioned the need for a two-state solution. Palestinians-Israeli negotiations should focus on a two-state solution as a path for peace. In order for these negotiations to work, both parties must respect the other. In our video conference with Naomi Chazan (who I would like to video conference with everyday) stated that in order for peace to occur the, "rights of the other and the narratives of the other must be recognized." Israelis and Palestinians must work to stifle intolerance and work toward a solution agreed upon by two parties. Israelis and Palestinians need to recognize the humanity of the other. In order to have an independent Palestinian state alongside Israel, settlement building must end. In our video conference Naomi Chazan stated that, "Settlements are completely antithetical to a just peace," and that, "Israeli occupation is not only not in Israel's interest but also goes against universal values and Jewish morality." I agree with these statements. I want to learn more about settlements. Is living in a settlement always a political statement? The first step to a two-state solution is fostering an environment of tolerance and open dialogue. This dialogue should be promoted in places where Israelis and Palestinians meet on a daily basis (markets, buses, shopping malls). Even though I feel that a two-state solution is necessary, I also succumb to pessimism. Dialogue is integral to dispelling pessimism.

1 comment:

  1. I think the topic of settlements is a very interesting issue. Many settlers believe it is their God-given right to be there. It's difficult when religion comes into play.

    ReplyDelete